Re: Navigation, was Re: Idea : common dir and tree

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 06:48:41PM -0400, Greg Ferguson wrote:
> I think it might be better to keep it consistent, but I
> suppose a determination based on *file size* could be done.

As I see it the main reason for split HTML-HOWTOs is for on-line
browsing on the Internet.  Then one gets only the sections they want
to read, saving bandwidth and time for slow analog modem access.  So
what is the advantage of split HTML-HOWTOs that are stored on a
hard-drive?  The speed of loading a file into memory is much faster
than transmitting it over the Internet.  The advantage of a single
file is that one may search for strings in it with the same browser
used to read it.

For a book-sized doc, it would be a little faster to view if split (at
least on older PCs).  But HOWTOs are not that long.

			David Lawyer