Re: Navigation, was Re: Idea : common dir and tree

On Jul 26,  2:49pm, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> Subject: Re: Navigation, was Re: Idea : common dir and tree
>
> Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> > Would you have time to sum up the current agreed propositions,
> > including dir. tree?
>
> I'll try:
>
>             Proposal v1.0
>
> Tree structure (FHS compliant, ref http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ):
>
> /
>   usr/
>     share/
>        HOWTO/        - the HOWTOs in HTML format goes here
>          index.html  - Our cover page (*)
>          00-index    - a contents list for file and FTP browsers
>          (other relevant pages linked to from index.html above)

Some questions/comments:

- With many potential files/HOWTOs, these additional sub-directories
  (PDF, text, etc) will be virtually unnoticed. We need to provide
  pointers to the sub-directories within the index.html files.

- Will we utilize the single-page HOWTOs or the multi-page HOWTOs?

- What about HOWTOs that currently are contained in their own
  sub-directory? We need to consider that (all DocBook-authored
  HOWTOs are like that).

- Need to provide a commonly-shared image directory, such as what
  we have now on www.linuxdoc.org (for call-outs, etc). Should be
  at the same level as the other sub-dirs (unless we munge the
  HTML to convert links/references).

- I can get you a file-count if need be (I need to know if the single
  or multi-page variants will be used).

>          text/       - same HOWTOS but as plain text
>          PDF/        - same HOWTOS but as PDF
>          PostScript/
>          SGML/

- Contains gzipped tar files or exploded (SGML) text + graphics files
  for each HOWTO? Again, possibly in their own sub-dirs.

- Do we need a split for linuxdoc v. docbook (?):

           SGML/
		docbook/
		linuxdoc/

>          HTML/

- Is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed by upper/mixed-case? :-)
  I'd personally like to see lower-case used for all the sub-dir names,
  but that's simply a personal preference.

- What goes in the 'HTML' directory, given that all HTML HOWTOs will
  be in /usr/share/HOWTO ? Is it still necessary?

>        GUIDES/       - the Guides in HTML format

- Again, a decision on upper/lower/mixed case..perhaps:
  HOWTO, FAQ, guides, etc. Again, my personal preference.

> Contents:
>
> [...]
>
> The index.html marked with (*) is based on the main page you see
> when you browse http://www.LinuxDoc.org/ with some minor exceptions:
>  - the links from that page point to files on disk using relative
> file:// URLs. Remember many do not have online access.

All links on www.linuxdoc.org are currently relative (and work
in a local/non-web-server environment). We needed to have it this
way for our mirror sites.

>  - added links that point to the corresponding area at LinuxDoc.org
>   in order to get the latest copy for those who are online.
>
> Example: the link looks like "Guides [web]"
> where Guides points to file://guides.html
> and   [web]  points to http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html

Very good idea.

> [...]
> (PS: I am going on a 3 week holiday starting this weekend and I
> am unlikely to be reachable over the net during this period. The
> entry to LWN has been submitted and might make it for this weeks
> issue).

I hate to switch gears, but was there ever any resolution or
follow-up on the c.o.l.a posting problem?

regards,

--
Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg@sgi.com
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com  |