Re: Idea : common dir and tree (Rep:Re: Why not create packages?)

Stein Gjoen wrote:

> >     S> I suggest we comply with the standards : /usr/share/doc/HOWTO
> >
> > Agreed.   And doc/FAQ and doc/GUIDES, but doc/HOWTO/mini
>
> I was under the impression that we were going to remove the
> distinction between HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs. Why then keep that
> old sub directory? Now that ./doc is positioned below ./share
> I would have thought this is an excellent opportunity to remove
> old cruft.
>
> At the same time we should try to decide on the place for
> other formats. A suggestion to star the ball rolling
>
> /
>   usr
>     share
>        HOWTO     - the HOWTOs in HTML format goes here
>          ascii   - same HOWTOS but as plain text
>          PDF     - same HOWTOS but as PDF
>          PostScript
>          SGML
>        GUIDES    - the Guides in HTML format
>          ascii
>          PDF
>          PostScript
>          SGML

I would prefer "text" to "ascii" on the grounds that the meaning is more
apparent to computer neophytes, without any corresponding loss of
precision. And, I would add "HTML", yielding:

/
  usr
    share
       HOWTO     - the HOWTOs in HTML format goes here
         text    - same HOWTOS but as plain text
         PDF     - same HOWTOS but as PDF
         PostScript
         SGML