Re: experimental release of linuxdoc-tools (based on sgml-tools 1.0.9)

gferg@hoop.timonium.sgi.com said:
> Do you think we should go that route? That way we have 1 toolset (jade/
> openjade), with support for both DTDs (DocBook and Linuxdoc).

It depends. Back then when we discussed SGMLtools v2, it was the general
feeling of people that the lifecycle of Linuxdoc was at its end and people
should start moving towards DocBook. To that end, we wrote SGMLtools v2 and
provided a conversion script. Starting now with a completely new piece of
software to support Linuxdoc, for which adequate conversion support is still
supplied by the current toolset, would not exactly give off that signal.

Really, the LDP needs to regard the Linuxdoc DTD as legacy stuff. It's a big
effort to get all the LDP authors to agree on submitting new versions of
especially their HowTo's in DocBook, but I think it's worth it (better tools,
more developer attention - FreeBSD, KDE, etcetera).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>
                            http://sgmltools-lite.sourceforge.net/

PGP signature