Re: experimental release of linuxdoc-tools (based on sgml-tools 1.0.9)

On May 17,  7:11pm, Taketoshi Sano wrote:
> Subject: Re: experimental release of linuxdoc-tools
>  at "16 May 2000 21:51:31 -0400",
>   Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
>
> > Taketoshi Sano <sano@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > I have put a source archive of modified sgml-tools 1.0.9
> > > with the name of linuxdoc-tools.
> >
> > Why?  Seems like this would cause confusion at this point..
>
> Because I have heard that current sgml-tools v1 & v2 do
> cause the confusion among users / writers in LDP.
>
> I think "sgml-tools" should mean the work provided by Cees,
> and it has been v2, the tools for DocBook.

Yes, but I would agree that it's still confusing to many users.

> I am afraid that if I release the new "sgml-tools" 1.0.10,
> or newer version, then users / writers will get into more
> confusion. The bug-fixed version of sgml-tools v1, will
> keep to be the tools for LinuxDoc DTD, so Linuxdoc-Tools
> are better name for it to avoid the confusion, I think.
>
> But if you, Adam, or Cees, advise me to use the name of
> "SGML-Tools-V1", then I will follow you.
> Please let me know how I should do.

I'd like to see if we can get linuxdoc support into the v2
sgml-tools packages. We'd need to provide the DTD and a
set of DSSSL stylesheets along with perhaps a couple of
catalog files. I don't know if there's anything else (at
this point) that would be needed beyond those components.

Do you think we should go that route? That way we have 1
toolset (jade/openjade), with support for both DTDs (DocBook
and Linuxdoc).

regards,

--
Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg@sgi.com