Re: Questions about future

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 09:48:53PM -0400, Paul Jones wrote:
> i have a couple of pet projects that i think would help out the LDP and
> the people and companies that use it.
>
> first i'd put someone on adding decent metadata (my mantra by now) on all
> the entries in the LDP. of course i'd like it based on the OMF (open
> source metadata framework) developed here and with Kendall ;->
> http://metalab.unc.edu/osrt/omf/
> this would let folks search on more than just content and also allow other
> ways of looking for appropriate documents. it would also allow smaller
> sites to have local searches on copies of the metadata then to retrieve
> the document from a nearby mirror or from www.linuxdoc.org
> so usability enhancement via metadata with an eye on wide distribution and
> local independent uses.

I don't want to burden LDP authors (or even worse, non-authors) with
creating metadata files.  I think that if we need such files, they
could be automatically extracted from the source by copying the
abstract, date, author, etc.  Also, I routinely search all of the text
of all of the HOWTOs using grep on a 486 and it goes fairly fast.  I'm
busy reading early hits while waiting for it to finish.  Searching all
the text is more through than searching metadata, but searching just
the metadata would obviously be faster.

But I vote for metadata provided it can be extracted with a script
from existing documents.

--			 David Lawyer