Re: Yet another question

liv@duke.edu said:
> 3) Why is <Rant> not a DocBook tag? Seriously... I had always assumed
> (when I heard that the LDP was switching from LinuxDoc to DocBook)
> that that went that DocBook had a well developed set of tools to work
> with, just like LinuxDoc.

We've tried at the SGMLtools project, but there was lack of interest to help
out making it better. In the meantime, apparently the net.gods at the LDP
decided to help further yet another toolkit around DocBook (I presume these
are based on Mark Galassi's scripts). Splitting up prematurely doesn't seem to
be an optimal way to get good tools, or to get stylesheet modifications
widespread....

[history: when we wanted to convert from Linuxdoc to DocBook with SGMLtools, I
spent a lot of time looking for existing stuff. Mark's scripts already
existed, but - at least at that time - they were a bunch of quick hacks to get
things going. So we designed a clean Python shell from scratch and repeatedly
invited everyone to join in, tried to persuade the LDP to switch to DocBook,
but I cannot remember ever getting much response. I'm not fingerpointing,
people were probably all too busy, but it surely has been a heck of a missed
change]
--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>
                            http://sgmltools-lite.sourceforge.net/