Re: translation memory

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 05:47:59PM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:

> Someone recently pointed me to "translation memory" programs.  Although
> I've never used them, a few minutes browsing the web convinced me that
> these may be very helpful for some of our free documentation/translation
> groups to use.  Can anybody tell me how useful these are for large open
> documentation groups like GNOME, KDE, or the LDP?  Are any of these groups
> currently using a translation memory(TM) program?  Does anybody know of
> any TM programs which run on Linux, or even better - of any free TM
> programs or projects?  If there are no free TM programs, would anybody be
> interested in working on one?
I am the author of KBabel, an environment for translating PO files. It
gives you the possibility to search for similiar translations while you
edit a file.
At the moment I am working on an framework, which will be easily
extensible with plugins. So you can use any kind translation memory,
if there is module available, which supports it. And of course this
framework can also be used in other applications like an docbook
editor etc.

Andrea Rizzi <rizzi@kde.org> is currently working on a module which uses
a GDBM database to store the translations. But if you are interested
to add support for other common formats, it will be welcome by many
people, I think. And of course other suggestions for improvements are
also welcome ;-)

It is also planned to have the  functionality in KBabel to do a inital
translation of a file by using this translation framework.

For more information have a look at http://i18n.kde.org/tools/kbabel/
and into the sources in kdesdk/kbabel/kbabeldict

You may also want to have a look at kdedict, a dictionary which is
used by some KDE translation teams. See
http://i18n.kde.org/tools/kdedict and
http://i18n.kde.org/cgi-bin/kdedict.cgi

kind regards,