Re: Authorship

On Fri, 02 Jun 2000, Joe Cooper wrote:
> David Merrill wrote:
> >
> > Sorry for the rant, but I'm getting frustrated. What I'm trying, and failing,
> > to say is that a little hand holding would be appreciated. Even if you think it
> > belongs in an appendix or a separate HOWTO, please provide more information,
> > rather than less, on establishing a working environment for DocBook.
> >
> > Of course, I will understand if I am in such a small minority that going out of
> > your way to help me is effort better spent elsewhere, but I wanted to share my
> > viewpoint.
>
> You're not alone David.  I don't think anyone had an easy time figuring
> out the Docbook stuff.  (sgmltools 2.02 doesn't compile on any machine
> I've ever tried...and when I started trying to figure out DocBook that
> was what seemed to be the recommended path...thankfully, I don't think
> anyone is suggesting that terror anymore.)

I had sgml-tools 1.0.9 installed, and seemed to have a properly working
environment for LinuxDoc with LyX. Then, I tried to install sgmltools 2.02, and
never could get it to compile. It's gone downhill from there.

Nice to know it's not just me. :)

> I probably never would have gotten a working DocBook evironment were it
> not for an upgrade to RH 6.2.

Well, I guess that's what I'll do, then. Hopefully the half-installed sgmltools
hasn't hosed things up too badly.

Since I'm delurking here, I might as well go ahead and let everyone know that I
am willing to help with SGML markup even without a working environment in
which to process it. Also, I can do general language cleanup where
needed (e.g., for authors whose native language is not English). I think I
could do a good job of de-geeking a HOWTO, since I'm geeky enough to understand
them (15 years of programming), but enough of a newbie to speak their language,
too (only 2 years of Linux).

--
David Merrill
dcmerrill@mindspring.com