Re: geekness

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 11:15:52PM -0400, Mark Komarinski wrote:
> Gary Preckshot wrote:
[snip]
> > Why I think LDP needs to address SGML editors more directly. Practicality.
>
> I got some documentation for PSGML, which is either on the version already
> on linuxdoc.org, or will be in the next revision.
> I'm also starting to do some more research on LyX, and maybe start helping
> them out with documentation.

I have used LyX for math writing, but I am a geek, so gave it up and went
back to using vi :)  LyX's documentation is good - I had no trouble working
out how to do things from it. What would be good from the LDP point of view
though is if LyX could be an easy DocBook HOWTO writing tool straight out
of the box (or rather the .rpm). I understand that LyX can do DocBook,
but the instructions I have seen involve a fair bit of stuffing around
to get it going.

Goal: 	new authors will be able to download and install a single .rpm,
	launch LyX and immediately start writing a DocBook HOWTO.

This would be such a big benefit for the LDP that I think it would be
worthwhile if some skilled volunteers spent their time helping the LyX
team at the expense of specifically LDP work.

Greg O'Keefe