"learn" command (Re: specifications)

Hi.

In article <20000512180910.A15219@Frege.Corinda48>,
  at Fri, 12 May 2000 18:09:10 +1000,
    on Re: specifications,
 "Greg O'Keefe" <gcokeefe@postoffice.utas.edu.au> writes:

> I have a book called "The Unix System" by S. Bourne, 1984ish, which is the
> best computer book I own. In it, it mentions a command, similar to man,
> called learn. This offered tutorial material on each command, rather than
> the reference type material that man gives you. I think it also kept track
> of your progress through the units. This seemed like a brilliant idea to me,
> and I was a little sad to find that it wasn't implemented in my (Red Hat)
> linux system.
>
> Anyone know about this command from the prehistoric days of Unix?
> Could reimplementing it be a worthwhile LDP project? I think so.

Perhaps you can download the source code of original learn command
from: <http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/bwk/>

The README file said:

   Learn was originally written by Mike Lesk with some contributions
   from Brian Kernighan.  The paper in this directory dates from the
   second version of learn, around 1979.

   This version of learn has been resurrected from the original V7
   source and edited enough that the source compiles and the
   lessons can be executed.  We have made no attempt to update the
   lessons, nor to fix some of the glaring problems with the code.
   Think of it as a historical document, not a polished system.

   cd src
   make
   learn

I had once played around this code, but it wouldn't work on my system.

There is another GPLed implementation, which can be downloaded from:
    <http://www.moria.de/~michael/learn/>

I have version 0.3 of this. The newer version may comes up.
This can be compiled and worked, but I did not have enough time
to check this well.

FYI.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>