Re: [oswg-dis] Re: reader comments & reviews

Tom Fawcett wrote:

> cogNiTioN <cognition@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > Content is nothing unless the public can see it. Can read it, and can find
> > it easily.
>
> Could you explain exactly what the LDP does to enable this?
> I'm wondering how different the Linux world would be if HOWTO
> authors simply treated their documents as software packages
> and uploaded them to metalab.unc.edu (and announced them on
> COLA and/or Freshmeat).

Something like this is already underway and if you give me
an hour or so I'll submit the revised and updated proposed
announcements, intro.ldp and man page stub example. Your
critical comments will be welcome.

> Put another way: The mechanisms for storing, indexing, searching and
> mirroring software packages seem fairly mature and efficient.  Why are they
> inadequate for documentation?

We need to cater for all users, not everyone has state of the
art in equipment. In fact some of the largest growing segments
are in China, India and South America, places where the latest
and greatest is expensive for most people and network access
is not the way it is in North America.

Probably more people than you might expect use terminal type
access and use grep as their primary searching tool.

Living in what I'd like to think is a high tech country, also
I had to work with 600 MB disks, 300 Bytes/s networks etc. I
still think of grep as my main search and indexing tool

On the other end of the scale I am about to make a test case
using NetHelp as a HOWTO reader, using a lot of graphics,
screen real estate, javascript and more.

> This is a sincere question.

I am looking forward to sincere commets to the proposals, one
of my main problems so far is lack of feedback. I'd appreciate
comments to the other things proposed in the recent past.

Also please check out
	http://www.linuxdoc.org/todo.html

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen