Re: [oswg-dis] Re: reader comments & reviews

Kendall Clark wrote:

>     Greg> Why make people choose - "for
>     Greg> the RPM Howto you have to jump the the OSWG site,
>     Greg> sorry". More than once that has happened to me (personally),
>     Greg> and it's very frustrating.
>
> I don't understand why this is a problem. This is the *web*, after
> all, a hypertext system. Why is it onerous at all to put down links on
> LDP to OSWG content and just let people follow links? Unless, of
> course, you're a commercial entity, trying to retain people on your
> site, which is irrelevant for the LDP, I would think.
>
> Am I missing something obvious?

I am looking at this from the perspective of the end users and also
the people putting distributions together. In the past people have
known that the source on is the LDP site; these days a number of
useful HOWTOs are at the OSWG site and I feel it would be beneficial
if also these could be packaged in the distributions.

We have seen too many examples of distributions packaging very old
versions of the HOWTOs and I therefore wish to make life as easy as
possible for the people putting the HOWTO-packages together.

Yes, many have access to the web but there are many places in the
world where such access is not easy to come by. This is more so
in a number of countries where Linux is growing very quickly
these days and here it is more important what is packaged than what
is on the web in a different continent.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen