Re: RAID HOWTOs

"Brian D. Haymore" wrote:

> Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> >
> > > Not quite.  I hear from people who are using what they consider to be
> > > "stable" Gnu/Linux systems, namely running RedHat 6.0 and/or RedHat
> > > 6.1.  RedHat's kernel now ships with RAID patches and RAIDtools-0.90.
> >
> > Ok. If that's the case (I didn't know it), then the following proposal
> > looks sensible to me:
> >
> > > What I really meant was that we should move the HOWTO's that aren't
> > > being maintained, and focus on older software to an "unmaintained"
> > > section or something, so that they are still available, but when
> > > people look at them they realize that it's not necessarily current.
> >
> > Thanks for clarifying things
> > /alessandro
>
> This is very diffucult to do as not all distrubutions are doing the same
> thing and are running the same RAID or NFS patches in their kernel.  So
> which distribution should the HOWTOs follow?  The answer is obviously
> that we shouldn't shape things after one dist in particular period.  So
> I see it as little and expected effort for the person begining to do
> their homework as best they can to find out what they have before then
> read and assume that the HOWTO applies to them perfectly.

Unfortunately, it's not all that easy for a novice to determine what
they need from the documentation.  The only place that I can find on my
RedHat 6.1 machine with anything that tells me that I need to patch my
kernel is the .src.rpm for the kernel.  Since I wasn't very
knowledgeable about the Software RAID on Linux when I started setting
this up, I assumed that downloading the latest kernel would work with
the tools that I got.  Now this is obviousally the fault of the people
at RedHat, but it would be nice if the Software RAID HOWTO at my
favorite documentation site at least had some information that could
help me figure out why it didn't work.  Indeed, we should NOT model
after any particular distribution, but in general, if we have HOWTOs
that cover things that are wildly different from distribution to
distribution (RAID, NFS), then perhaps we should try to have the HOWTOs
contain info for the distributions.  This doesn't really involve the LDP
per say, but rather the people who write and maintain the HOWTOs.  Some
day when I learn how to install Debian, I will offer to write sections
on that where it differs from RedHat (since I already know RedHat).  If
other people do the same for SuSE, Caldera, Slackware and the others, if
and when they differ, we can easily handle this.  Sorry for ranting on
so long,
	Greg