Re: DNS volunteer needed

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 09:47:47PM -0700, Jim Pick wrote:
> Since I'm managing the DNS, that puts me in a funny situation of being
> the only person outside of the core team that could conceivably yank
> the domain name away from them if things went really bad.  If there is

Do you want to be included in the core team as 'DNS manager' ?

The core team is currently :
 Greg Fergusson
 Joshua Drake
 Tim Bynum
 Guylhem Aznar

I'd like you (for the DNS), Alessandro Rubini (for the QC) and David
Lawyer (for the license issue) to join us.

> a mutiny of some sort, people will be approaching me to break ranks
> with the core team.  I've had a domain name yanked out from under me
> (linuxhq.com), and it's pretty unpleasant.  So I don't want to be in
> this position.

Please don't talk about mutiny :
When I see the problem we have trying to agree on thigs as simple as a
format for documents or a license guide, one of my nightmare is the LDP
blowing up and having no more free documentation for GNU/Linux.

> So, I'm asking for a volunteer (preferably someone who has confidence
> in the core team, or a member of the core team) to take over the DNS
> duties from me.  I'll continue to run the DNS until somebody
> volunteers, so don't worry about me shutting things down or anything
> like that.

Either me or Joshua can do this if you want (at least my domain name was
processed by Network Solutions, took 1 full month but now I have a nic
handle, so it'll be easyier), but I'd prefer you to continue running it
and joining the core team.

Might be stupid, but, yes, sometimes we *do* make mistakes.
We are humans. (really)

I'm sure you also make mistakes sometimes, but working in a "core team"
prevents individual mistakes.

> If I wasn't in the whois record, I probably wouldn't have been so
> vocal about the banner ad - because it wouldn't reflect on me
> indirectly.  So volunteering to take over my DNS duties would be a
> good way to shut me up.  :-)

I don't want you to shut up.

As someone said, "we need troublemakers".

You brought a problem we had already discussed, but it is really a
problem.

We had to take a decision for the logo contest, it might not have been
the best solution, but it worked : it brought many logos, and helped
promoting free documentation (that's more important, we don't really
*need* a logo)

You're trustworthy and I would be pleased if you could join the core
team.

--
Guylhem Aznar, Linux Documentation Project: http://www.linuxdoc.org
PGP key: http://oeil.qc.ca/~guylhem ; Email: guylhem \@/ oeil.qc.ca