Re: [off topic] Re: Licensing issues

Gary:
>> It's the "2B or not 2B" :) meaning of course, paragraph 2b of the
>> GPL (1991)

Terry:
> I'll concede that point. It does talk about cost in dollar sense. Ok, so
> you can't take a GPL'd document modify it and sell the document.

Sure? When I translated the GPL to Italian, that was the most
difficult point.  I've been over it for a long time (but didn't ask
rms, I didn't dare disturb him).

My interpretation is that the *license* must have no cost. But you still
can sell the book (or software).

GPL: last lines of paragraph 1 till 2B:
> You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
> you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
>
>   2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
> of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
> distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
>
>     a) [... irrelevant here ...]
>
>     b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
>     whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
>     part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
>     parties under the terms of this License.

So you can charge for the copy, but the work is licensed to all third
parties at no charge (i.e., you are not allowed to charge third
parties for the license -- even if you charge your direct recipient).

-------------------------

Terry:
> In any case, I feel like a lone voice in this discussion.

I completely agree with you on this issues. I'm just busy and not so good at
expressing my points. So at least we are two.

BTW: the next edition of "Linux Device Drivers" will be freely
redistributable.  We are working on the license terms and I'm pretty
happy of the current proposal (however, I fear I'm not allowed to give
details, to avoid building specific expectations that may fail or not
apply to the final license).

/alessandro